Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Old Yankee Stadium


I do not really endorse the New York Yankees in any way but I really wish I would have seen a game at the original version of this park, I saw two games at the remodeled park. 20 years apart but I was there, the first trip was September 10ht 1988 and it was completely unplanned. Just started driving north on a Friday night and ended up at the stadium Saturday morning. Of course now the 9/10 date sort of weirds me out a bit..Saw the Yankees and the Tigers play that day, Yankees win 5-3. The second trip was September 14 2008, a planned visit this time. I had never been to Shea Stadium and since both parks were closing, we did a Mets game on Saturday and a Yankees game on Sunday. I always feel a little twing of sadness when Ballparks close down, why I don't know but I think it relates to some of the events that are associated with each park. For me Yankee Stadium always makes me thing of Lou Gehrig..always has, even as a kid in the 1970s he was the Yankees. So I thought of his life when they tore down this park, it wasn't the same place he played in but you really could feel the ghosts there. It was a bit of a dump but a dump I whish was still around..

No comments:

Post a Comment